Change of Major Policy

Information on change of major or double major requirements for the programs within the College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) are available at the CAED Advising Center, the individual department offices and the linkes provided below.

As much as possible, entering students are encouraged to make careful and informed decisions about the initial application to their declared majors. All majors at Cal Poly are impacted and it will be difficult to change into some majors despite a student's best efforts. Nevertheless, sometimes students will find that their interests, abilities, or talents will take them in a different direction than they had identified when they originally applied to Cal Poly and they may seek to change to a different major. Depending on the degree of impaction of the target major (i.e., the relationship between the number of applicants to the major and the number of places available), there might only be a few spaces available for change of majors, or no spaces at all. Students who are unable to change into their desired majors might also need to consider applying to another university in the major of their choice.

If a student makes the decision to change major, doing so early in the academic career will better allow a student to make degree progress in a timely manner and stay within the university's minimum progress to degree standards; major changes late in the academic career will be restricted by the university's minimum progress standards, including the unit maximum.

All students whether lower division (those with fewer than 90 Cal Poly units) or upper division (those with more than 90 Cal Poly units or 90 transfer units), intending to change majors must demonstrate that they can complete the new major within the minimum progress standards and the unit maximum set forth by the university. This is likely to be a greater challenge for upper division students, who will have fewer remaining degree requirements. Further, students need to be aware that not all departments can accommodate upper division change of majors.

Policy Statement

Cal Poly students are required to declare a major at the time of application. Some students find that their interests and abilities lead them in a different direction. The university must offer a transparent and timely process for all students who seek to change majors.


I. General Guidelines

A. Minimum time at Cal Poly

Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before requesting a change of major

B. Basic Criteria that may be used in advising for determining Target Major Options

All academic departments should give careful consideration when determining target major options. The following criteria may be considered:

  • The majors for which the student was eligible at time of admission
  • College academic record (e.g., GPA, coursework, etc.)
  • Remaining coursework and the student's ability to complete degree requirements in the new major within the published unit maximums for that major.

C. One Chance to be accepted

Students who enter into an individualized change of major agreement (ICMA) and do not complete the ICMA requirements will not be eligible to request that major again later in their career at Cal Poly.

D. Completion of Change of Major

The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all of the requirements of the ICMA.

E. Timeframe

The ICMA must be feasible to complete and be completed in no more than two quarters.

F. Publication of Change of Major Criteria

As applicable, department's web sites should post the minimum criteria required of all students to change major into their program including timelines.

G. Impaction Constraints

Per the Office of the Chancellor's The California State University Enrollment Management Policy and Practices, other admissions requirements for all transfer students (internal and external) entering the target majors on impacted campuses must be the same (e.g., portfolios, auditions, etc.).

H. Academic Standing

A change of major agreement will be void if a student is academically disqualified prior to the completion of the agreement.

II. Requesting a Change of Major into, within, or out of the College of Architecture and Environmental Design

  1. Meet with current adviser to review major options and talk about career paths. Consider, also, consulting with Career Services, other advisers, and faculty and/or department heads/chairs in both current and target majors.
  2. Meet with the department head/chair or designee in the target major to determine the likelihood of success in the new major.
  3. Review the curriculum requirements for the target major.
  4. If the target major is not a good fit for the student, the student will be advised to look at other options.
  5. If the student receives a positive assessment based on consideration of I.B., and it is clear that they can complete degree requirements in the new major within the unit maximum (unit maximum is 24 units above program requirements), then an ICMA will be developed (see below).

III. Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA)

The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all of the requirements of the ICMA. The ICMA will cover no more than two quarters.

The ICMA may include the following components:

  1. Maximum of three specified courses or 12 units in the target major.
  2. Additional courses and/or units to allow the student to meet minimum progress standards and complete degree applicable units in both majors, whenever possible (e.g., GE courses or electives a student could use to meet degree requirements in both current and target majors).
  3. GPA requirements, as determined by the department (e.g., overall/term GPA, GPA in major- specified courses, GPA in past two quarters).
  4. If applicable, specific steps to be met to resume good academic standing status.

Change of Major Requirements for Majors in the CAED

Links to the minimum standards for each major:

Related Content


Connections Magazine

Vellum/CAED Furniture Competition turns 20

Read the latest issue of Connections, the College of Architecture and Environmental Design's quarterly e-magazine.

Read more

CAED Diversity Equity & Inclusion

CAED Diversity Plan Cover

Learn more about the CAED's Diversity Plan and Overview.

Read more

Giving to the CAED

Students in the ARCH 241 - Architectural Technology Fundamentals class display their custom-designed and handmade bricks. With the support of WRNS Architects in San Francisco, the class traveled to Pacific Clay in Lake Elsinore to make the bricks, after firing, they were shipped up to Cal Poly.

Learn how to support Learn by Doing at the CAED.

More on CAED support

Hearst Lecture Series

Johanna Hurme design

The CAED Spring 2024 Hearst Lecture Series features Johanna Hurme on Friday, May 10, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. PST at the Business Rotunda (03-213).

Click for Calendar